Re: pkgsrc and XAPPLRESDIR

On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 10:43:05PM +0900, SODA Noriyuki wrote:
 > > Ok, I thought that message was going to end up in the binary package.
 > > If it doesn't, it certainly should.
 >
 > Why do you think such message is good enough?

It's not. But it's a start.

 > If it's enough why does our /bin/sh have to know /usr/pkg/bin?
 >
 >      $ strings /bin/sh | grep /usr/pkg
 >      PATH=/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/pkg/bin:/usr/local/bin
 >
 > IMHO, our default installation should know /usr/pkg, and programs
 > in the base system are already doing so.

Because everyone knows how to adjust PATH if they need/want to.
XAPPLRESDIR is highly obscure. Rather than compiling in a default
that'll work for most people and fail obscurely for everyone else,
pkgsrc should arrange it so it finds the right things on its own.

Also, pkgsrc shouldn't need to hack up the base system to work
properly.

It's similar to how pkgsrc spends a lot of effort to arrange proper
rpath information in installed binaries instead of requiring the user
to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH or compiling /usr/pkg/lib into the dynamic
linker.

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost