Re: 5.1 install-from-source

>> 2011-11-12 23:24:30.72 postinstall checks failed: rc
>> 2011-11-12 23:24:30.77 To fix, run:
>> 2011-11-12 23:24:30.77     /usr/src/usr.sbin/postinstall/postinstall -s
>> '/usr/src' -d // fix rc
> Using postinstall with "-s srcdir" is unlikely to do the right thing
> in general,

Well, that's what it printed.  Whether it did so because it's
incorrectly suggesting I do something that won't work or because the
way I ran build.sh means that it _is_ the right thing to do in this
case, I can't tell.  (The source tree I built from differed from the
one which produced the installed system were installed only in the
addition of some comments, in this particular case; more generally,
when I do a build-and-install this way, the resulting binaries are
supposed to be, and generally are, backward-compatible enough that it
doesn't matter whether something like postinstall uses the host tools
or the newly-built tools.)

> [postinstall gets] different results depending on whether or not it's
> run from build.sh, because build.sh sets MKX11=yes.

Based on this, I tried a slight tweak.  The command build.sh suggests I
run to fix things is

    /usr/src/usr.sbin/postinstall/postinstall -s '/usr/src' -d // fix rc

and instead I ran

env MKX11=yes sh /usr/src/usr.sbin/postinstall/postinstall -s '/usr/src' -d //
fix rc

This installed xdm and xfs in rc.d very nicely.  (Not that I'll be
turning either one on in rc.conf.  It just seems wrong for build.sh it
to suggest a fix that doesn't work.)

>> Is this [...] something that needs a PR, [...] something else, what?
> Please submit a PR, and I'll try to improve the behaviour in
> -current.

install/45611.

> Meanwhile, I suggest that you manually install those files for 5.x.

Well, MKX11=yes in the environment worked....

\ / Ribbon Campaign