Re: pkgsrc and XAPPLRESDIR

>> The whole X resource scheme is a legacy mess and it's not worth
>> spending time to sort it out carefully, IMO.
> It works amazingly well.

...in the sense that a dancing bear dances amazingly well.  "It is not
that it dances so well; it is that it dances at all."

> Maybe folks spend not enough time learning it?

I did spend the time to learn X.  A lot of time.  I regularly compute
sqrt(pi) in Roman numerals, in Henry Spencer(?)'s memorable phrase.
I *still* think it's a mess (and that's not restricted to resources).

I still agree with what I wrote, back in 2008:

| I lay X's dominance not at the feet of technical merit - X is a good
| example of something that sucks worse than everything except all the
| alternatives anyone has tried, to steal a turn of phrase from Winston
| Churchill - but at the feet of open licensing and widespread sample
| implementations.

\ / Ribbon Campaign