Re: What should go in dot files

On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 05:26:33PM -0400, Matthew Mondor wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 13:56:15 -0500
> David Young <dyoung%pobox.com@localhost> wrote:
>
> > I use useradd.  I'm used to the default settings, I couldn't tell you
> > precisely which ones I do and do not rely on, but I expect for them NOT
> > to change.
>
> I also use it, except for system users/groups which postinstall says I
> should add (it's then faster to use  vipw  and  vi /etc/group).
>
> Perhaps that I'd still use useradd/groupadd for that if postinstall
> suggested to run a script using them (this probably also requires a
> vipw-like -d option, though).

It would be tremendously helpful for postinstall to tell which
useradd/groupadd commands to invoke.

It would also be tremendously helpful for useradd to be a host tool
with a -d option.  I cannot tell you how much trouble I have gone to,
creating scripts with sh/awk/sed to create users & groups on boot media
that I have cross-built.

Dave

--
David Young             OJC Technologies is now Pixo
dyoung%pixotech.com@localhost     Urbana, IL   (217) 344-0444 x24