Re: default skel files (Re: PAGER=less)

David Holland <dholland-tech%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote on Sat, 15 Oct 2011
at 19:39:15 +0000 in <20111015193915.GB29584%netbsd.org@localhost>:

>  > These are actively harmful, because they train users to depend on a safety
>  > net that may not exist on other systems. That's bad.
>
> true, they shouldn't be uncommented by default.

My opinion is stronger than that.

By leaving them there commented out, we suggest they might be a good
idea and that some users might want to uncomment them, just as they
would uncomment the changing of EDITOR.

But I think that we would be teaching users a terribly bad habit that
will come back to haunt them in the future, so we should not be making
an implicit recommendation.

Having them there commented out is dangerous, IMO we should not do it.

--jhawk%mit.edu@localhost
  John Hawkinson