Re: default skel files (Re: PAGER=less)

On Sun, Oct 16, 2011 at 12:41:31AM +0900, Izumi Tsutsui wrote:
 > > > IMHO this is a preference issue, and should be left to users to set in
 > > > their own dotfiles; people should get raw unix default behavior until
 > > > they ask for something different.
 > >
 > > Strongly seconded. For example, I strongly hate the global
 > > 'alias rm rm -i' found on some systems. Let this decision for the user,
 > > please.
 >
 > Then, I'd also like to remove (or comment out) the following lines
 > in src/etc/skel/dot.cshrc (derived from 4.4BSD Lite2 merge!?):
 >
 > ---
 > alias h              history 25
 > alias j              jobs -l
 > alias la     ls -a
 > alias lf     ls -FA
 > alias ll     ls -lA
 > alias su     su -m
 >
 > setenv       EDITOR  vi
 > setenv       VISUAL  ${EDITOR}
 > setenv       EXINIT  'set autoindent'
 > setenv       PAGER   more
 > ---
 >
 > Especially the default EXINIT is so annoying me.
 >
 > Probably very few admins use our useradd(8) tool,
 > or all of you have proper own skel files?

I did once... ~15 years ago.

I think that if we're going to open this can of worms at all, we
should try to put together a nice set of skel files that's widely
usable and broadly useful. What we've got is left over from 4.4 and
smells like 1989.

I would say that all but the most basic obvious things should be
commented out by default; however, providing a rich set of things that
can be uncommented for immediate use is helpful to newbies, and
sometimes even to not-so-newbies.

Of the above I'd say all the aliases but 'll' (which has become very
widespread) should be removed entirely, and the environment variables
should be commented out, something like:

   #setenv EDITOR vi    # default
   #setenv EDITOR emacs
   #setenv EDITOR ee
   #setenv EDITOR nano

   #setenv PAGER more   # default
   #setenv PAGER less

also

   #setenv PRINTER set-this-to-your-favorite-printer

Other possible aliases:

   # This asks for confirmation when deleting, but can be annoying.
   #alias rm rm -i

   # These are good for general safety, and not intrusive.
   alias mv mv -i
   alias cp cp -i

   # Print the date and time in UTC
   alias utcdate env TZ=UTC date

The next question is: what dotfiles should we provide by default?
There's a decent argument for providing a .tcshrc and .zshrc, possibly
a .emacs that shows how to set the right indent mode when editing
under /usr/src; maybe an .xinitrc...

...and then, the contentious issue: changing the order in $PATH...

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost