Re: Making powerd=YES default

On Aug 1, 2011, at 1:40 56PM, David Holland wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 01, 2011 at 12:55:09PM -0400, Mouse wrote:
>>> Now how the script is expected to know that "powerd=NO" came from
>>> /etc/rc.conf, and not /etc/defaults/rc.conf?
>> I've seen the mailer variables handle this through setting the variable
>> to "check" and then seeing if it's still set that way later.  See
>> rc.d/postfix in 4.0.1 (possibly other versions too; 4.0.1 is the one I
>> checked).  Perhaps that could be adapted?
> That would make far too much sense...
How about this: read defaults/rc.conf *after* reading rc.conf, but use

        : ${varname:=defaultvalue}

to set it.  The semantics of it, in the ksh man page, are

              if name is set and not null, it is substituted, otherwise it  is
              assigned word and the resulting value of name is substituted.

but it works in out /bin/sh as well.

                --Steve Bellovin,