Re: Making powerd=YES default

On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 09:01:47PM +0200, Jean-Yves Migeon wrote:
> IMHO, powerd(8) shall exit unless there is code that explicitly
> registers a backend. It has no real meaning (to me, at least) to handle
> power events where there is nothing expecting it to be so.
>
> There, /etc/powerd/scripts would rather be:
>
> /etc/powerd/scripts/default/*
> /etc/powerd/scripts/acpi/*
> /etc/powerd/scripts/xen/*
> /etc/powerd/scripts/<power_type>/*
> [...]

Be careful with the above layout though. There is a lot of duplication (e.g.
already with x86 there would be ../scripts/acpi vs.  ../scripts/apm vs.
../scripts/default). For instance, Xen might want to use some scripts from
../scripts/acpi and some from ../scripts/default.

But supposedly majority of the events are quite independent from the
machine and the power-type.

A long-term solution is to use more machine-independent APIs in the kernel;
perhaps more than anything else, both the above layout and the current
powerd(8) scripts are symptoms from not doing so.

- Jukka.