Re: Moving rc.d scripts to base.tgz

On Sun, Apr 17, 2011 at 09:50:04PM +0000, David Holland wrote:

> Yes it is, really; the claim is that if the configuration support is
> adequate then the need to make custom changes should largely or
> entirely go away.

Read your own words.

>  > > No, because then you have to write shell script (or worse, hack
>  > > someone else's) to get the behavior you want.

You don't have to write shell script or hack someone else's if the
functionality is already provided and configurable.

You _can_ write shell script or hack someone else's for anything else.

Easy going for the standard stuff.
Instant flexibility for anything else.

> No, but it has plenty of other costs. And remember, nobody's
> suggesting that you can't have /etc/daily.local,

That's because turing-complete configuration is suddenly good? :)

> so you can do all the
> custom scripting you want; you just can't edit /usr/libexec/daily
> without going to the source tree and then typing 'make && make
> install'. Just like ls.
> Again, how about some examples of things where you want to edit
> /etc/daily?

I never edited /etc/daily (except for fixing a bug) but augmented
it in /etc/daily.local, but then this was about additional checks
and not about modifying standard checks.

I did edit rc scripts until it was possible to use a ".local"
overlay. It was possible because the modification can be handled
by hooking into the *cmd variables.

You see that I am not against standard scripts or simple configuration.
It is a good thing to have, but it is not the end.

> Yes indeed, but it also means that the range of possible
> configurations ceases to include a wide variety of non-sensible (which
> often includes broken, inoperable, erratic, failing mysteriously, see
> Windows for examples) configurations. This is a feature.

Do you intend to provide such non-sensible configurations? And why
should this be better when the scripts are modified in /usr/libexec
instead of in /etc ?

> Do you want to bring back starting the network and all daemons from
> /etc/rc.local? That gives much more flexibility than ifconfig.* and
> rc.conf, after all.

It doesn't and as written above, this is not about config options
vs. scripting. It is about not preventing scripting when necessary
(or just wanted).

                                Michael van Elst