Re: Moving rc.d scripts to base.tgz

On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 05:37:34PM +0100, Julio Merino wrote:

> I presume moving the files and installing some compatibility symlinks
> (for one or two releases) would please some protesters.  That said...
> you can move rc out of /etc, but what do you do with rc.conf?  It is
> just a shell script...

In the past, I have used a few different solutions.  The safest and most
flexible is to arrange to not parse rc.conf with the shell.  Arbitrary
shell syntax in there (or in ifconfig.xyN, etc.) is very convenient on
some kinds of systems, but anaethema on the kind I am often trying to
build.

Another good way is to move rc.conf, too, to a place where it can't be
written, and have it fire off something as its last line that parses
another configuration file without using the shell.

It's all possible given enough hackery of the system.  But moving all
that shell input out of /etc would significantly reduce the amount of
hackery required.

Thor