Re: Autoconfiguring root device and fstab(5) (wedges?)

In article <>,
Alan Barrett  <> wrote:
>>> Yep; just tested it though, and fsck complains that it can't
>>> stat ``from_mount'', reason is... obvious.
>> Can't we move the logic from mount(8) to getfsent(3) internal?
>It should be easy enough to teach fsck(8) to handle
>fs_spec="from_mount".  I am not keen on moving the logic to
>getfsent(3), because that's just a file parser, independent of
>system state.

We can't move the logic from mount(8) to anywhere because
fsck(8) needs to work when a filesystem is not mounted, and mount(8)
uses getmntinfo(3) to determine the "from_mount" values.

What could be done (but it would be fragile) is to provide a way
to match the <fs>_fsmnt[] field (last mounted on), but this is not
provided by all filesystems and there can be conflicts.