Re: standards on SIGFPE for divide by zero

On Wed, Mar 02, 2011 at 02:59:32PM -0500, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:

> You want the program to get a floating-point-exception signal on a bad
> integer divide?

Uh, it's been a generic arithmetic error signal for a long time, like
ENOTTY complaining about generic wrong-type-of-file-descriptor situations.
I was surprised by that a couple of years ago.

SUSV3 defines:

SIGFPE  A Erroneous arithmetic operation.
SIGFPE  FPE_INTDIV Integer divide by zero.
        FPE_INTOVF Integer overflow.
        FPE_FLTDIV Floating-point divide by zero.
        (...)

Now, if the hardware in question can't create SIGFPE on integer divide,
I don't think we should torture the compiler into simulating it.

Regards,
        -is