Re: Adding -l option to cp

On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 10:35:24PM +0000, Christos Zoulas wrote:

> >Just for the record it can be done with pax -r -w -l.
>
> Does it really matter? Don't we have tools that have overlapping functionality
> already? It is simple enough to add, and it does not add a lot of maintenance

Yes, it matters.  It makes the system ugly, and for people who can manage
some conceptual clarity it makes it harder to use, too.

Every wart that's appeared in some other Unix does not automatically belong
in NetBSD.  This should stop now.  Or do we need cp --12, which runs out
to the store and fetches a dozen eggs?

Thor