Re: Adding -l option to cp

In article <>,
Adam Hamsik  <> wrote:
>On Jan,Sunday 23 2011, at 4:30 PM, Marc Balmer wrote:
>> Am 22.01.11 23:44, schrieb D'Arcy J.M. Cain:
>>> I find the -l option in FreeBSD extremely usefule and find myself
>>> installing coreutils on NetBSD just to get the GNU cp.  It would be
>>> nice to add this to NetBSD.  Would anyone object if I applied the
>>> following patch?
>> I object indeed if the same can be done with pax.
>Just for the record it can be done with pax -r -w -l.

Does it really matter? Don't we have tools that have overlapping functionality
already? It is simple enough to add, and it does not add a lot of maintenance
overhead. In terms of userland utility innovation there is solaris at one
end of the spectrum and linux at the other. I think it is better to be
somewhere in the middle.