snprintf(3) and friends async-signal safety?

Hi list,

While working on my msgfmt thingy for dd(1) [1], I found that snprintf(3) gets used in summary(), which is a function that can be called via the SIGINFO handler.

Unfortunately, I am not quite certain of what I read; a quick look at snprintf(3) code in libc/stdio makes me believe that the function is _not_ async signal safe (it is not listed in signal(7) either), but is still used in as-is in dd(1).

Question is: is it really safe to use it in a signal handler inside NetBSD?

Jean-Yves Migeon