Re: Default behaviour of 'ifconfig'

>> The "?" flag is not a model of usability itself: it does not work
>> consistently across shells unless you backslash-escape it.
> You are supposed to know how globbing works in your shell.  Otherwise
> PEBKAC, and it is not the "?"'s fault.

But choosing a character that is a metacharacter in practically every
shell, with behaviour widely known to be inconsistent, as the magic
flag is...bad design, really.

I normally use -_ when I want a deliberately erroneous flag to provoke
a usage message.  I don't know of any shell under which that needs

\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML