Re: Default behaviour of 'ifconfig'

Marc Balmer <marc%msys.ch@localhost> wrote:

> A cursory check on the Unix systems I run, including some Linux boxen,
> revealed that all of them but NetBSD have 'ifconfig', when called
> without arguments, default to the behaviour of 'ifconfig -a', which
> seems both natural and handy to me.
>
> Is there a particular reason NetBSD does not do this?  If the only
> reason is "lack of diff" I am more than willing to do the work.

Please do.

I can't imagine anyone really *depends* on ifconfig w/out args to show
help, so it's not like there's any backward compatibility issue.  And
those who are used to typing ifconfig -a will still get what they used
to get, so my bet is that if you commit this, they will not even
notice :).

-uwe