Re: Proposed addition of strcodecs(3) library - review requested

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 11:56:17AM -0400, der Mouse wrote:
> > The second item is relevant for the typical set of inplace
> > transformations or transformations than select only parts of the
> > input.
>
> I'm not sure what the issue here is.  However, I don't think it really
> matters; buffering is good in plenty of cases, and I would never claim
> that stdio stacking is a right answer for everything.

Redundant buffering costs memory, cache foot print and time. In the
worst case, you end up with an output and an input buffer between each
set of transformations. That can result in a measurable overhead for
cases that are not IO bound.

This is exactly why I was pointing into the libarchive direction.
Thinking properly about minimizing resource usage here is hard work.

Joerg