Re: tn3270, mset and map3270

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 05:49:00PM +0100, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 11:23:46PM +0900, ITOH Yasufumi wrote:
> > We discussed termcap versus terminfo issue many years ago,
> > and we selected termcap since it is more flexible.
> > termcap allows users to use local capabilities
> > (not defined by standard) naturally,
> > but terminfo doesn't have portable way to do that.
>
> Can you give a real world example of where this functionality is
> actually used and why terminfo(3) doesn't allow it.

ncurses allows it (for more than 10 years).  It's in use in ncurses's
terminfo for the various modified cursor- and function keys for xterm,
as well as for a few extensions (the useful ones from screen).

That might count as "portable" (ymmv).

Notwithstanding that, I've seen very few examples of its use in termcap.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net