Re: New callhome(8) page; comments?

On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 10:10:25PM +0000, Julio Merino wrote:
> The point with this page is to document, in a centralized place, all
> components that require access to external systems to work and for
> which knowing which servers are accessed or what data is sent is
> unclear.

I'm not sure this makes any sense at all.

In the ntpd case, you will need to configure the servers (or use the
default aliases) and enable the service. If you enable the service (and
know what you are doing) you ask for a certain kind of networking traffic.

If you ask for regular auotomatic updates of the vulnerabilities database
from their master server, and you know what you are doing, it is plain clear
that you will need a working network conection to that servers.

If you configure postfix to be able to send mail, you need a working network
connection.

None of this is even slightly related to "calling home", at least not in the
sense I always read it.

If we have any in-tree software that does call home, we should imediately
cvs rm it.

Martin