Re: tn3270, mset and map3270

On Jan 16, 2010, at 5:48 PM, Adam Hoka wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 11:10 PM, Hubert Feyrer <hubert%feyrer.de@localhost>
> wrote:
>> On Sat, 16 Jan 2010, Marc Balmer wrote:
>>>
>>> Because it clutters pkgsrc with old cruft that noone needs or uses.
>>
>> I think pkgsrc should make software available, and leave it upon the users
>> to decide if the package is useful or not. Else we could starting deleting a
>> lot of stuff. (Why does this remind me of the recent Wikipedia "relevance"
>> debade?)
>>

>>  - Hubert
>>

> I was just a about to make the package in pkgsrc, when I have realised it
> wouldn't work with terminfo, so it makes no sense to have a package.

This is the problem: having something in pkgsrc requires a maintainer who's
going to do what it takes to keep the code running.  The proposal to delete
tn3270 was advanced not because tn3270 almost unused, but because it's almost
unused *and* would need significant work to keep working with future releases
of the system.  In other words, is it worth the effort?