Re: The imperfect beauty of NetBSD

If that.

Is there any suitably licensed text search engine that's worth
importing to get a real man page search capability?

(Er. Off-topic, followups to tech-userlevel I guess...)

Do you have anything specific in mind? I've been kicking around a grep for -mdoc and -man using the mdoc(3) and man(3) libraries, which are for now only used in building mandoc(1):

  src/external/bsd/mdocml/dist/{mdoc,man}.3

One can do things like searching for command flag, function arguments, etc., by interfacing with manual parse trees. This would only work for -mdoc, which encodes this stuff; for -man, straight-up text search is more or less the way to go (the parse tree is just presentation syntax, although there's some knowledge of context, e.g., section).

Kristaps