Re: Lua in NetBSD

On Sat, Oct 24, 2009 at 07:54:29PM +0300, Antti Kantee wrote:
> On Sat Oct 24 2009 at 12:36:54 -0400, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> >
> > I think we (and Marc, and Jason, and Lua's maintainers, and
> > many of the others who have come out in favor of Lua integration in this
> > discussion) have a pretty good record of getting most of the major things
> > done that we say we'll do.  I think we are all saying pretty much the
> > same thing: "Tell us the work won't be thrown away, and we'll get it done,
> > because we all have valuable uses for it".  I doubt any of us are willing
> > to trade that point of view for your "do the work before getting any kind
> > of approval of what you intend to do": again, the risk of wasting our time
> > is too high.
>
> You are saying "if this ends up sucking totally, we'll integrate it anyway
> because we got a promise and now it's in our corporate plan".

Really.  How interesting.  That sounds to me more like what you would
find convenient to argue with *if it were actually what I were saying*.

Like most development organizations, Coyote Point does the best design
we can, evaluates the design carefully, decides whether to proceed on
that basis, and then spends the time and effort to do the best
implementation we can.

Generally our results don't suck, but on the rare occasions when they
do, we reevaluate at that time.  In the usual case, however, our
go/no-go decision is made after the design, not the implementation,
phase, because implementation costs a lot of time and money and we don't
particularly care to waste either.

I suspect that, similarly, that is the development process most of the
other people advocating Lua in NetBSD are used to and prefer.

It seems like you would prefer that NetBSD follow some other process.
I think you may be almost alone in that preference, but I can accept
that that is your preference.  Please do me the courtesy of actually
accepting that my preference is mine -- and don't make up silly parodies
of it.

If you'd care to actually engage with what I said, rather than put words
in my mouth, let me know, and let's take it offline.

Thor