Re: tcpdump: drop privileges by default?

On Wed, Sep 09, 2009 at 03:28:06PM -0400, Elad Efrat wrote:
> Jukka Ruohonen wrote:
>> Would it be reasonable to drop root privileges in tcpdump(1) by default?
> Very.
>> On the other hand, this would clutter the system a little.
> I don't think it clutters the system at all.
>> It may also be
>> questionable if this adds any value in terms of security.
> I disagree: it reads data from the network and it runs as root.

I think it, and a lot of similar things, should be paxctl +A +M at
install time.  What do you think?

Thor Lancelot Simon
    "Even experienced UNIX users occasionally enter rm *.* at the UNIX
     prompt only to realize too late that they have removed the wrong
     segment of the directory structure." - Microsoft WSS whitepaper