Re: tcpdump: drop privileges by default?

Jukka Ruohonen wrote:

Would it be reasonable to drop root privileges in tcpdump(1) by default?

Very.

On the other hand, this would clutter the system a little.

I don't think it clutters the system at all.

It may also be
questionable if this adds any value in terms of security.

I disagree: it reads data from the network and it runs as root.

Please commit if that small patch is all that's required. :)

-e.