Re: xmltools status and (future) integration into base

On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 8:38 PM, Nhat Minh Le<nhat.minh.le%huoc.org@localhost>
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As my xmltools are getting near a usable state (xmlgrep has been
> around for a while, and I expect xmlsed to be out in the coming weeks;
> you can read more on the state of the tools themselves on my blog[1]),
> I would like some pointers on how they should integrate into base.
[...]
> On the other hand, I would probably want to continue development on my
> own Git repository, only importing changes into base when they are
> stable enough, and David Young, my mentor, has told me this work flow
> suits external/ better.
>
> Which one is preferable? Or is there another option I have overlooked?

It all boils down to how you want to manage this project.  If it is
something solely for NetBSD, and you are not going to manage releases
separately not distribute it as an independent project, put it in
usr.bin and merge everything into the build tree.  Otherwise, put it
in external/.  The copy in external/ will always be an import of
external sources: development will never happen there (other for minor
fixes that NetBSD developers want to apply).

Then, if you are fine with cvs, you can do your development in
othersrc and manage the code from there.  But, as you say you are
already using Git, your only alternative is to host the master sources
somewhere else.  I currently do this with atf (sources in monotone
somewhere else, releases imported in external/bsd/atf) and am pretty
happy.  The downside of this approach, though, is that you'll rarely
get contributions from NetBSD developers because the barrier to entry
is pretty hard (uh, oh! a new vcs! a new repository!).

But, summarizing, I think you'd better keep your git repository, do
formal releases frequently and import them into external.

Hope this helps,

--
Julio Merino