Re: adding getdelim(3) and getline(3) to libc

    Date:        Mon, 13 Jul 2009 10:26:56 +0100
    From:        Roy Marples <roy%marples.name@localhost>

  | I also think it would be a good idea to bump the version number to 5.99.16
  | when getdelim/getline is committed, so that pkgsrc can depend on a specific
  | NetBSD version for any fallout that will occur.

That's both silly and ineffective, the kernel version (5.99.16) and the
libc version are not directly related - that someone is running a 5.99.16
kernel certainly does not mean they're running a libc of similar vintage.
(The libc can't be newer than the kernel, but it can certainly be lots older.)

I have one system that's still running 2005 vintage userland (3.99.8 or
something) but runs much newer kernels than that.

Using kernel version numbers as a pkgsrc test (other than perhaps where
stuff like support for particular ioctl's is being considered, and the
issue is how they work, rather than whether they exist) is just broken.

kre