Re: problem with ntpdate(8) in current rc order

On Tue, 16 Jun 2009, Jukka Salmi wrote:
> if a NetBSD system runs its own (resolving) name server there's the
> following potential problem: since kdc REQUIREs ntpdate and wants to be
> started BEFORE SERVERS, and named REQUIREs SERVERS, ntpdate is started
> before named, and thus can't resolve the hostname(s) from /etc/ntp.conf.

See the tech-userlevel archives from May 2005, Subject "rc.d: time
synchronization issues at boot time", beginning with this message:
<http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-userlevel/2005/03/16/0000.html>.

That time, the discussion was mostly about a circular
dependency beyween ntpdate and named, but kdc was
also mentioned.  I still think that my proposal in
<http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-userlevel/2005/03/16/0010.html>
would work.

--apb (Alan Barrett)