Re: Extending cp(1) to copy sparse files with -s switch

On Wed, 3 Jun 2009 20:35:11 +0200
Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg%britannica.bec.de@localhost> wrote:

> I don't like it. The same functionality already is provided by pax and
> that is somewhat more portable than cp -s. Situation would be slightly
> different if the hole detection existed but as it is, I prefer to not go
> that route.

I would then propose to add a note in cp(1) man page about sparse copy
being currently handled by tar/pax only, until a better solution
exists...

As for the earlier patches from Reinoud (linked-to in that PR) to
detect holes in a Solaris-compatible way, it unfortunately never was
finalized/accepted.
--
Matt