Re: Adding openresolv to base

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 07:31:10AM +0000, Michael van Elst wrote:
> roy%marples.name@localhost (Roy Marples) writes:
>
> >By adding another file you have increased complexity. If both files are
> >present, which should be used? If both, in what order? What if I want my
> >static config to appear somewhere in the middle? Should we have a third
> >file to configure this?
>
> I can tell the ISC dhclient to produce the configuration I need,
> even making appear something somewhere 'in the middle'. I can
> also hook in a script that configures forwarders to my local
> caching nameserver instead of changing /etc/resolv.conf.

Nothing stops you from writing such scripts. The central point of
resolvconf is to make the *common* case as easy as possible without
making the *edge* case harder. As in: it solves the problem for 95% of
the users, without making it harder for the rest.

Also let me repeat for a second the other point about dh's mail: whether
or not automatic configuration should modify /etc/resolv.conf or a
different /var/run/automatic-resolv.conf file to be included by the
admin is a separate discussion.

Joerg