Re: Adding a simple editor to the base system

On Thu, 12 Feb 2009, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 08:45:22PM +0000, David Brownlee wrote:

        I'd prefer to try quite hard to avoid screwing over users...

Yes, I'm sure others would as well.

The problem is that your definition of "screwing over users" appears to
include rather controversial elements such as "fail to have as default
an editor which satisfies my personal taste in editors."

        That could be regarded as coming close to putting words in
        my mouth...

        My personal choice in editor is vi.

        I think there should be an easy to use editor always
        available on NetBSD for those who do not want to learn vi.
        I would not want it as my default editor, though I would
        not object to a mechanism which would let those who wanted
        set it as theirs.

        I think the vast majority (who have an opinion) on this are
        split into those who want to see it in base so it is always
        available, and those who are happy to see it added to a
        desktop package so it would only be available to those who
        selected that package.

        I think that is the fundamental point, but apparently not
        one we can resolve.