Re: new nvi option: expandtab

On Tue, 2008-12-09 at 20:25 -0500, Arnaud Lacombe wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 7:35 PM, Luke Mewburn <lukem%netbsd.org@localhost>
> wrote:
> > (I originally called it "expandtabs", then noticed that vim(1)
> > has an "expandtab" option that sets similar behaviour.)
> >
> > thoughts?
> >
> is it needed to add bloat to the base system ? I mean, if someone
> want's to expand tab or other fancy stuff, he can always install
> vim(1).

I would argue that text editior features a lot of people find useful
out-weigh a few K increase for something in base system.

> The underlying question would be "Do we want nvi to concurrence vim(1)
> feature-wise or do we want to keep something minimal, enough for
> everyday administration task ?"

Once nvi has vim's visual mode editing so I can trivially move chunks
text around or run a regex on a specific block easily then I'd say it's
good enough for everyday administrative tasks.

I use vim extensively and can live without syntax highlighting and a
nice status bar telling me what line/col I'm at but I just can't work
without visual mode. It's just too useful :)

On another note - will we ever see a nvi that works with a
missing/invalid/broken $TERM setting?

Thanks

Roy