Re: new nvi option: expandtab

On Tue, Dec 09, 2008 at 08:25:07PM -0500, Arnaud Lacombe wrote:
  | On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 7:35 PM, Luke Mewburn <lukem%netbsd.org@localhost>
wrote:
  | > (I originally called it "expandtabs", then noticed that vim(1)
  | > has an "expandtab" option that sets similar behaviour.)
  | >
  | > thoughts?
  |
  | is it needed to add bloat to the base system ?

Just over 2 KiB extra isn't "bloat":

  size /usr/bin/vi build/vi
 328630    2780    2848  334258   519b2 /usr/bin/vi
 330831    2788    2848  336467   52253 build/vi

(As a comparison, vim on a Linux FC8 i386 box is 1725578 bytes)

  | always install vim(1).

That sort of claim --
        "don't add [small yet useful] features to a base tool inspired by
        a third-party product; install third-party product instead"
could be used for most changes made to NetBSD.
It serves as a good emotive diversion, no more.

Many of the features I've added over the years to NetBSD have been
inspired from elsewhere.  In general, I've received nothing but
overwhelming support for adding such features.

  | The underlying question would be "Do we want nvi to concurrence vim(1)
  | feature-wise or do we want to keep something minimal, enough for
  | everyday administration task ?"

"Real men edit files with ed(1) [cat(1). toggle switches] ?"

nvi has many features over "traditional" vi, including split screen editing.
Are they mandatory?  Arguably no.
Are they useful?  Yes.
Did they increase the code size?  Yes.

This was a feature that I've wanted for a long time.
I solicited private feedback, and only got "yes please" responses.
I implemented a proof of concept.
I then checked elsewhere and discovered that vim implemented a similar
feature; hence my reference to vim's name of a similar feature.
(I don't use vim myself.)