PIC helper libraries

Hi,

Currently at least some of the X.Org DRI modules are broken because they
lack a bunch of code.  The way they're built by the Mesa package, a
convenience library is built and every modules link against that .a.

I reproduce that in my source tree, using LIBISPRIVATE.  But there's a
catch: as that helper library is ultimately used by shared objects, I
need it to be PIC.

I came up with the following patch, which is gross but I think the
stench is not too bad.  Comments on it?

      http://vert-toit.net/~cube/libpic.diff

I guess we could build a shared library and make the DRI modules link to
it at run time, but:

  1.  That would mean do things very differently from the original
      package, which might not be the best idea, especially when you
      consider it's Mesa, a very special piece of code (you, *that*
      meaning of "special").
  2.  I won't be bothered enough to do it that way, so if one of you
      really feels it has to be done that way, s/he will have to do it.

Alternatively, I welcome ideas as for building the lib normally, but
without the non-PIC parts (i.e., building the .so files [per bsd.lib.mk
naming convention] and the _pic.a, but not the .o files and the .a).

(That would probably be useful for "our" long term plan to completely
de-support static linking.  Muhahahahahaha!)

--
Quentin Garnier - cube%cubidou.net@localhost - cube%NetBSD.org@localhost