Re: rc.d/rndctl

On Tue, 04 Nov 2008, Robert Elz wrote:
  [several other good comments snipped]
> To test for the sh bug with IFS handling that I suspect, change the
>       IFS=';' eval set -- \$rndctl_flags
> line at the start of the function to
>       oIFS=$IFS
>       IFS=';'
>       set -- $rndctl_flags
>       IFS=$oIFS

It turns out that the problem is not a bug in NetBSD's /bin/sh,
but a mistake on my part.  Either way, Robert's suggestion is
the right way to address the problem.

For normal commands, "VAR=value cmd args" sets the variable for the
duration of the command and reinstates the old value afterwards, but
for special built-in commands it sets the variable permanently.  See
#tag_02_14> for this rule, and
for a list of special built-in utilities, which includes "eval".

--apb (Alan Barrett)