Re: rc.d/rndctl

On Wed, 17 Sep 2008, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 03:58:51PM -0400, Brian A. Seklecki wrote:
All:

I was about to assemble a PR to submit an etc/rc.d/rndctl to enable
various default sources at run time.  I wanted to get some community
feedback on what are sound default RNG sources (net, disk, rng, etc.)

There *are* defaults, they're built into the kernel.  They used to be
sane -- have they been changed so that they no longer are?

1a) On my -rnetbsd-4, on various embedded platforms with md(4)/rd(4) file
    system (zero disk I/O), and a serial console (zero TTY), I find that I
    have to enable net, *unless* it's a AMD Geode or Soekris with glxsb(4)

1b) Are the default sane?  Probably on workstation and servers, but I've
    found that it would be nice to have an rc(8)-level control for
    embedded environments.

2) I find that rndctl(8) does not accept multiple arguments for "-t", or
   rather, it does, but fails silently to iterate operations against an
   input list, so here's an improved RC:

-- defaults/rc.conf --

  rndctl=YES           # Random number generator
  rndctl_flags="disk net rng tty"

-- rc --

 #!/bin/sh
 #