Re: find -print0 "limited utility" (was: getdelim(3) and getline(3) for NetBSD?)

On 18-Oct-08, at 10:21 AM, Aleksey Cheusov wrote:

FYI:
Why 'xargs -0' and 'find -print0' was/is absent in Caldera/Solaris and others?

From wip/heirloom-find (opensourced by Caldera years ago) manual page.

      The -print0 operand supported by some other implementations is
      considered a very limited work-around since it does not allow
      the output to be processed by utilities unaware of NUL
      characters; it has therefore not been included here.

Are you answering your own question, or does the answer given not make sense to you?

Personally I think the answer is bogus -- "find -print0" is intended primarily for use with "xargs -0" and it is expected to be of no use with any other existing standard utility, however I think that is sufficient reason alone for its existence. If other utilities besides xargs can also be made more useful by including the option of reading pathnames delimited by NUL characters, then they should be enhanced.

--
                                        Greg A. Woods; Planix, Inc.
                                        <woods%planix.ca@localhost>