Re: refuse: fuse_setup 26 incompatibility

On Fri, Jul 04, 2008 at 05:55:29PM +0200, Dieter Baron wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 04, 2008 at 04:48:50PM +0100, Alistair Crooks wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 04, 2008 at 11:18:51AM +0200, Dieter Baron wrote:
> > > fuse_setup changed between API version 2.5 and 2.6.  Our librefuse
> > > always presents the 2.5 interface, even when the application requests
> > > 2.6.  The attached diff implements the 2.6 version and interface
> > > selection based on FUSE_USE_VERSION.
> >
> > The diffs look good - thanks for that.
> > Please go ahead and commit them.
>
>   I just noticed that the patch removes a symbol (fuse_setup) from
> librefuse, so a program that used the pre-2.6 API's fuse_setup linked
> against the old version would no longer run.  Is this considered a
> problem, or is librefuse considered too experimental to worry about
> such corner cases?

No, there are a number of pre-2.6 FUSE file systems out there
(probably the majority of them), so it needs to be fixed for them (if
I'm understanding you correctly).

I think the fact that you're fixing it for newer API file systems, and
that people are using it for a number of FUSE-based file systems in
pkgsrc, as well as the portable iSCSI initiator, shows that it's gone
past the experimental stage by now. Bugs may remain, sure, but hopefully
we can squish as many of them as we can.

Regards,
Alistair

PS. Once we've branched for 5.0 I'll see about adding the lower level
functions for ReFUSE.