Re: bin/39002: harmful AWK extension: non-portable escaped character

 >> Also see standards/38127 and my another mail in this mailing list.
             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 >> The problem there is close to this one.

> I'm not necessarily apposed to warning, just that changing our
> existing behavior of what to do with them should remain the same.

> i.e. it's undefined behavior and there's clearly no "standard
> behavior" per se.

PR 38127 is completely different. POSIX says that ERE should
support {n,m} not supported by "the only true awk" ;-) It also says
that awk regexp are ERE with minor changes. Thus, using `{' and `}'
characters as ordinary symbols EXPLICITLY violates the standard.
They should always be [-ed.

--
Best regards, Aleksey Cheusov.