Re: New postfix vs. /var

In message <200806232028.m5NKSjhV013587%vtn1.victoria.tc.ca@localhost>
        on Mon, 23 Jun 2008 13:28:45 -0700,
        jnemeth%victoria.tc.ca@localhost (John Nemeth) wrote:
>      Does /var/lib/postfix contain files that the user ever has to look
> at?  If not, then there is no reason to worry about where the files are
> placed.
Whatever contained in /var/lib/postfix, if we use /var/lib then we
must define the definition for "/var/lib".

My opinion is the same as Geert:

In message <20080623193948.GA1619%lori.ghen.be@localhost>
        on Mon, 23 Jun 2008 21:39:48 +0200,
        Geert Hendrickx <ghen%telenet.be@localhost> wrote:
> I think it is more important that different applications behave consistent on
> one OS (NetBSD) than that one application behaves consistently over different
> OS'es (qmail style).

> What goes under /var/lib/postfix, anyway?
from RELEASE_NOTES:

    [Incompat 20071206] The "make install" and "make upgrade" procedures
    now create a Postfix-owned directory for Postfix-writable data files
    such as caches and random numbers. The location is specified with
    the "data_directory" parameter (default: "/var/lib/postfix"), and
    the ownership is specified with the "mail_owner" parameter.

data_directory is settable parameter, so changing the default isn't so
big problem.

On one machine running pkgsrc's postfix,

# ls -l /var/db/postfix
total 68
-rw-------  1 postfix  postfix   1024 Jun 24 07:27 prng_exch
-rw-------  1 postfix  postfix  32768 Jun 23 20:48 smtpd_scache.db