Re: bsdcpio and bsdtar installed by default

On Thu, Jun 05, 2008 at 06:56:40PM +0100, Alistair Crooks wrote:
> Yet the lack of a bsdpax (sic) frontend would seem to be a showstopper
> for those of our colleagues who are more cowboy inclined, since our
> build.sh relies on pax's -M option.

No, you don't need a pax frontend for that. The last major rounds of
changes where to extend the mtree support to the level to handle all of
NetBSD's mtree. All that is needed is to prepend a single line with
#mtree as header to spec file and you can use the append archive feature
for this.

E.g. if base.spec is the list of permissions and files for base.tgz, the
following can replace the use of pax -M:
{ echo '#mtree'; cat base.spec } > base.spec2
bsdtar -czf base.tgz @base.spec2

Joerg