Re: bsdcpio and bsdtar installed by default

In article <20080605161159.GA2955%apb-laptoy.apb.alt.za@localhost>,
Alan Barrett  <apb%cequrux.com@localhost> wrote:
>On Thu, 05 Jun 2008, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
>> All archives created by bsdtar, modern gtar and star are POSIX
>> interchange format when any of the limitations of ustar are hit.
>> pax can't deal with a number of those archives
>
>I'd strongly prefer to see pax fixed, rather than having another version of
>tar added to the base system.

By whom? Are you volunteering? Seriously it is not like our pax has the
cleanest code. I have spent many hours debugging various problems in it
and I don't want to keep doing it. FreeBSD uses libarchive too, and it
is actively and well maintained. Plus you get the advantage of being
able to use the archiving API from other programs instead of needing to
invoke tar!

christos