Re: bsdcpio and bsdtar installed by default

On 5-Jun-08, at 1:50 PM, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

As far as I know, the existing tar used to work for~ever for pkg_install. Why is this so urgent all of a sudden now? (No, I don't count "extract a Mono tarball" as urgent...)

Indeed, and also I've found that quite a few of the abuses of GNU tar in pkgsrc are unnecessary. The issues are usually with warnings only and in my experience they do not affect the ability of pkgsrc to successfully, completely, and cleanly build the target software.

(i.e. I would like to see something new and better replace pax eventually, but I see no need to rush in doing it right now)

--
                                        Greg A. Woods; Planix, Inc.
                                        <woods%planix.ca@localhost>