Re: Bottomline - Going LDAP.

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 10:25:39PM -0400, Jim Wise wrote:
  | As long as the base system supports NIS as an option in nss -- with no
  | additional installs, I would _love_ to see the capability you discuss in
  | the RFC available in the base system.  Whether it should be the default
  | post-sysinst configuration is something others can comment on.

I have a long-term goal of providing nss_nis.so to allow us
to remove the YP methods from libc.so if we desire.
nss_nis.o would still ship in the base system.

Arguably the same could be done with Hesiod support moving into
nss_dns.so; I'd possibly still keep the "hosts: dns" code still
in libc.so.

  | After all, nss makes these things easy to supply without messing with
  | the defaults, right?

That's the theory, yes.  Well, nsswitch and PAM.

cheers,
Luke.