Re: mail.local NSS awareness (fourth patch)

Greg A. Woods; Planix, Inc. <woods%planix.ca@localhost> wrote:

> Ideally the mailer should never accept mail from a return address
> which is known to be, or can be shown to be, invalid; though of course
> it can only go so far with determining the validity of the return
> address without actually delivering a test message to it.

The problem is that if you have intermitent network outage or overloaded
LDAP server, then your MTA might successfully lookup the recipient, and
then mail.local can fail to do so.

This is why I propose a modification to mail.local so that such
recipient lookup failure would be turned into a temporary error, so that
the MTA retry delivery later.
--
Emmanuel Dreyfus
http://hcpnet.free.fr/pubz