Re: nssd (was RFC: Going the LDAP/Kerberos way with NetBSD.)

Christos Zoulas wrote:

>My experience with nssd has only been pain. While it is a good idea if
>properly implemented, I have not seen a proper implementation of it and
>I don't think that it is easy to write one. Issues:
>
>1. It introduces a level of cacheing which can lead to annoying
>   consistency issues if there is more cacheing happening at the
>   directory server level.  What would be ideal is to teach all
>   the directory server backends to do uncached calls when they
>   are contacted by nssd.
>
>2. It introduces an extra context switch for each lookup. This is
>   why sun invented doors.

You could implement a small cache in libc to avoid this in most
cases.  Given that the largest advantage of caching is generally
achieved in a short time, a 1s cache would be probably be enough.

--
    Roland Dowdeswell                      http://www.Imrryr.ORG/~elric/