Re: SoC: Improve syslogd

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 10:00 AM, Hubert Feyrer <hubert%feyrer.de@localhost>
wrote:
>  I cannot comment on the subject at hand itself. Seems there's a pretty
>  high "research / conquer new grounds" factor in it.

The biggie, at least IMHO is Unicode support. While I followed every
IETF move with rsyslog (in fact, I used it partly for prototyping), I
was hesitant to include Unicode support. That has the potential to
break many existing applications.

Also, the new log line format is something that can break existing log
parsers, so one needs to be very careful about how it is implemented.
Rsyslog, for example, support high-precision timetamps for over three
years now, but the default is still at using the standard low-res once
for good reasons. High-precision time stamps need to specifically be
enabled, and (unfortunately) few have done so so far.

Rainer