Re: obsoleting shlibs - what's the plan

uwe%NetBSD.org@localhost (Valeriy E. Ushakov) writes:

>"will be used by programs that do not use them"?  EPARSE.

I believe that programs linked against the old libraries
will not work or not work correctly when they start using
these libraries, i.e. when they call kerberos functions.
So, the only use of the old libraries will be for ballast
to keep the linker happy.

We have two possible scenarios:

- old libraries are dropped and programs linked against them will
  fail, telling everyone that the corresponding package probably
  needs a rebuild anyway.

- old libraries are kept, some programs may work without fault,
  some may fail in subtile ways. The only way to get known behaviour
  is to rebuild the corresponding packages, but now you have to
  find the affected programs yourself.

How many packages are using Kerberos without specifying an option
(which tells me that the user requires Kerberos functionality)
and will be affected?

All this only happens, when you do an upgrade to the base system.
In my experience I have to rebuild many packages (i.e _all_ due to
very limited update handling in pkgsrc) after I upgrade the base
system to another release. Now you have to do it also when you upgrade
a -current system after a large subsystem was changed. I don't consider
this a problem or even worth this discussion.

                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost