Re: rpcgen with env variable CPP set to "cc -E"

On Sat, Jan 12, 2008 at 04:18:39PM +0100, Anthony Mallet wrote:
 > | Does anything other than bsd.rpc.mk use $CPP? From what I see the
 > | Linux rpcgen uses a -Y option instead, so compatibility probably isn't
 > | a big concern. (And, naturally, neither behavior is documented. Sigh.)
 >
 > The -Y sets a path to CPP, not the CPP itself; it's supported on NetBSD
 > too. It's documented in the usage(), but not in the man page.

Ugh. I must have looked straight through it.

 > | The path of least resistance might be to just change what rpcgen looks
 > | for, lame though this would be.
 >
 > Yes, that's boring.
 > Are you working on this? I saw you commited a sizeof(char)==1.
 > Otherwise I can provide a small diff.

I've hacked rpcgen in the past, but no, that was just something I
noticed while passing through. Diff away, I guess.

But I'm wondering if it would be better to pass the lot to system() or
sh -c instead of reimplementing arg splitting yet again. Or just use
popen() instead of forking explicitly.

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost