Re: mounting by wedge name

On Sun, Dec 23, 2007 at 01:49:53PM -0800, Jeff Rizzo wrote:
> Iain Hibbert wrote:
> > On Sat, 22 Dec 2007, Jeff Rizzo wrote:
> >

> >> I've been working on various things lately to improve the state of
> >> wedges and wedge-related things - one of the (valid) complaints is that
> >> there is no way to 'nail down' wedge configuration currently.
> >>

> > I don't know if this is pertinent, but I saw some rumour about a devfs in
> > the works that would enable you to force certain devices to certain slots.
> >
> > Would that handle generically what this does specifically or is that a
> > different issue?
>
> Depending on the scope of the devfs, it might well solve this problem.
> However, I am neither the person working on devfs, nor am I privy to
> whatever progress is or isn't being made.  So, rather than wait
> indefinitely for something that may not happen, I'm trying to work with
> what we've currently got.
>
> Certainly, I could see devfs removing the need for a lot of this - which
> would make me happy.  Meanwhile...

mjf's chimmed in, indicating something will happen w/ devfs. I've been
helping him with it, and wedges are the main reason I want devfs.

My thought is something like /dev/wedge/wedgename, and you'd just mount
that as normal. There will of course be time to hash this out before we
check it in...

Take care,

Bill